Monday, November 3, 2008

To stroll or not to stroll...

That has become the question.

When our first child was born I bought or was given all the accepted "necessary" baby accoutrements. Then I realized half of them were a waste of time, money, space, or all of the above. Many things were given away or yard saled. In fact my last yard sale was right before I got pregnant last year, when I was sure we would never be blessed with another child, and I got rid of TONS of baby stuff. Bingo, pregnant the next month!

This time around we have been blessed with great friends who have given us just about everything we need, almost no cash outlay. Especially when you consider that I did NOT get rid of all my cloth diapers, so we only needed size small diapers and some overnights. We were given a swing, a cradle, and I traded for a co-sleeper (we keep chickens, gotta love the barter system). Now the question is...do I really need a stroller?

I learned to love baby-wearing with my first daughter. I used a ring sling for a hip carry, and a Mei Tai on my back. Eventually I even traded for an Ergo. This time around I have all of those, plus two wraps, another Mei Tai and Maya Wrap. My mother-in-law wants to get us a stroller, yet my heart says that money would be better spent on a Beco baby carrier. Is it practical NOT to have a stroller (I have been given a great double jogging stroller, but it's not practical for taking in the car. It takes up the whole back of the truck even.) Is a stroller something you really NEED for a baby?

What do you think?

No comments: